Saturday, October 8, 2011

My chunky butt is 4 wks old!!

I have been really down lately when it came to breast feeding. I was ready to give up and switch totally to formula. I just can't seem to be ME or have time for myself when breast feeding, you are constantly feeding and was getting no help with feedings that way.

I met with the lactation consultant and she showed me how he should be latched on and nursing so it's not painful which was one of my concerns but the other was how his diapers have been. Roman weighed 8 lbs 14 oz before feeding and afterwards he was 9 lbs 1 ounce which means he ate 3 ounces. He did have a dirty diaper while there which was good because I wanted to know if that was normal and it is! His gas is normal and bowel movements are normal. I was really worried that he was lactose intolerant because no one could tell me if this was normal. I did start with formula so Todd is able to help and he can experience that bonding which gives me a break and I can pump to stock up for when I'm back to work.

Last night I slept much better. She said the more they gain, the more he will sleep through the night. He was given formula at 1030 and didn't wake until 2 am which doesn't seem like a lot but better than 1 hr here an there. Roman has been feeding for 30 to 45 mins at a time which was wearing me down in which the consultant said no more than 15-20 minutes each side because after that, he is just using me as a pacifier.

So I feel better, I feel good that she told me I'm doing the right thing, he is gaining and looks really good. Maybe it does get better with time!

1 comment:

Grma White said...

It does get better. Your next concern will be, "is it normal for him to be biting other kids?"